Who can sign off an EWS1 form?

The signatory for Option A would need the expertise to identify the relevant materials within the external wall and attachments and whether fire resisting cavity barriers and fire stopping have been installed correctly.

However, this would not necessarily include the need for expertise in fire engineering. The signatory should be a member of a relevant professional body within the construction industry, such as an RICS Chartered Surveyor or a member of the Chartered Institute of Building.

The signatory for Option B would need expertise in the assessment of the fire risk presented by external materials and should be a member of a relevant professional body that deals with fire safety in the built environment. This could be a Chartered Engineer with the Institution of Fire Engineers or equivalent.

Unfortunately, there is a lack of suitable experts in the industry who can review and sign off EWS1 forms, which together with a high level of demand across the industry can lead to significant delays in the assessment process.

Sign up to our newsletter

This website uses cookies to improve your experience.