Do I need to serve a party wall notice?

You must tell your neighbour if you want to :

  • Build on or at the boundary of your two properties
  • Work on an existing party wall or party structure
  • Excavate below and near to the foundation level of their building or structure

Where work falls under the provisions of the Act you must inform all Adjoining Owners by giving written notice, normally at least two months before the planned start on site. The notice is only valid for a year, so it is also important that it is not be served too early.

We always advise building owners to speak to their neighbours before serving a formal notice. Neighbours that feel they are being consulted and kept informed are far less likely to immediately appoint a surveyor when a notice is served. This can avoid running up a large bill for surveyor’s fees.

For more information on the types of Party Wall Notices and when to issue them, see our article.

Sign up to our newsletter

This website uses cookies to improve your experience.