What is an EWS1 Form?

The EWS1 form is designed to be used for residential properties such as blocks of flats (including those owned by housing associations and social housing providers as well as privately owned), student accommodation, dormitories, assisted living, care homes and Houses in Multiple Occupation (HMOs).

The EWS1 form is not specifically designed for use of short-term accommodation such as hotels. EWS1 does, however, apply to an entire building or block so where required, may also be relevant to mixed use.

An EWS1 Form records in a consistent and universal manner the fire safety assessments that have been carried out on the external wall construction of residential buildings.

The assessment must be conducted by a qualified and competent professional, such as a Chartered Construction Professional as defined on the RICS guidance. A single assessment is needed per building and once the EWS1 form has been completed it will be valid for five years, subject to significant use changes or any refurbishments.


Sign up to our newsletter

This website uses cookies to improve your experience.