Fire Risk Assessments
A Fire Risk Assessments (FRA) is a legal requirement for all non-domestic properties in the UK. They are also required for the common areas of residential flats and Houses in Multiple Occupation (HMOs).
This is set out in legislation under the Regulatory Reform (Fire Safety) Order 2005, often referred to as the ‘Fire Safety Order’.
If you are responsible for a building, for example an employer, owner or occupier of premises that aren’t a single private dwelling (a private home), you need to make sure a suitably competent person completes a Fire Risk Assessment. It is your duty to identify risks and hazards in your premises and take appropriate action.
Fire Risk Assessment Obligations
The main obligations under the Fire Safety Order are that you must :
- Carry out a fire risk assessment identifying any possible dangers and risks;
- Identify any individuals who may be especially at risk;
- Evaluate, remove or reduce risk from fire as far as is reasonably possible;
- Ensure measures are in place to provide additional protection if flammable or explosive materials are used or stored;
- Create a plan to deal with any emergency and, in most cases, keep a record of your findings;
- Review and update fire risk assessment regularly;
A Fire Risk Assessment will review the existing Fire Precautions, such a Fire Detection, Emergency Lighting, Fire Stopping and Fire Doors to ensure they are still adequate.
Fire Safety for New Build Developments
The Fire Safety Order is only relevant to occupied buildings. Any proposed new building will require the development of a Fire Strategy during the design stage. Essentially this is an assumed Fire Risk Assessment based on the number and type of occupants who intend to use the property. The Fire Precautions required to meet Building Regulations will be identified by the Fire Strategy.
To commission an FRA please call our dedicated Enquiry line on 020 4534 3130.
To book a call back from a member of the FRA team, please fill in our Contact Us form.
For further help or advice please contact :
Senior Associate Director
DD : 020 4540 7003
M : 07900 305 288
Head of Building Consultancy
DD : 020 7947 0915
For the latest RICS guidance note ‘Cladding for Surveyors, 1 Edition, March 2021‘ click here