Can I do a Party Wall agreement myself?

No, unfortunately not. The Party Wall Act requires the appointment of a ‘surveyor’ who is not party to the matter. This means that it cannot be either of the owners, either the Building Owner undertaking work or the Adjoining Owner affected by the work next door. See our article on selecting a Party Wall surveyor.

However, you can go ahead without a Party Wall agreement if your neighbour provides consent in writing for you to do so. This consent doesn’t have to be in any particular form, but it should include architects drawings to ensure your neighbour is clear about exactly what they are approving.

No matter how amicable relations, many neighbours will want to protect their property with a properly qualified surveyor to oversee matters. In some instances your neighbour might settle for an ‘agreed surveyor’, who can act for both parties with independence and impartiality.

Sign up to our newsletter

This website uses cookies to improve your experience.